Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Where I am at right now

I came into this yesterday thinking that blogging was pretty pretentious. Are there really people who care what I have to say? Today I see this as an exceptional learning tool. I am excited to use this with my fifth graders. My mind is whirling with ideas for how I can use this. I loved the suggestion to start small. I think that might be the way to begin. I can have my students-maybe not even my whole class-just respond to my posts on my blog. From there, I would love to have a blogging community for my class and to find safe ways for my students to get feedback from others. Our globe is becoming smaller every day. I think our students really need to know how closely they are connected to other parts of the world.

I am excited to find ways to use this resource with my kids!

Questions I have:
  1. Do I have the hardware to facilitate this activity? I teach at a low income school. Not all of my students have access to a computer at home. This would have to be done within the school day.
  2. How can I ensure safety while offering networking?
  3. Do I have the time to respond to the writing in a timely fashion?
  4. How will I handle the reluctant writer?
  5. How will I differentiate for learners who struggle to write?
  6. Can I make this rigorous enough for my advanced students while ensuring success for others?
  7. Should I worry about the 6th grade or other 5th grade teachers' lack of technology in their classrooms? (This experience will doubtfully continue.)
I am hoping that I can work out these issues and still maintain my level of excitement for this activity.

No comments: