Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Pageflakes Addiction

So I can see where Pageflakes (or any aggregator) can become an addiction. I sat down at my computer last night to try it out and I was still there three hours later. I was browsing through hundreds of flakes. I have flakes from my hometown in FL, sports, a calendar, my to do list, CNN, ESPN, movie times, Netflix, and the list continues. I have 5 pages of information. It is very exciting.

The premise is that this will save me time. I can check out all of that information in just a few minutes. The question becomes, do I really need to know all of that? It is a little like the consumer who spends $50 to save $3. Is that really a savings?

Now, if I can get RSS feeds for information that I really need to know, that would be a savings. I need to find an RSS feed that will send me a detailed list of what to wear including accessories based on the items hanging in my closet. I need an RSS feed that will tell me when those cute red pumps are on clearance with an extra %50 off at Kohl's. I need an RSS feed that will continually send me the GPS location of my 13 year old in real time. Now THAT would save me some time.

I can see potential in this technology, but it has to be useful. I will use it. I will like it. I will be informed on topics that interest me. But I am not seeing significant time savings yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Suzi.

My name is Benjamin Keyser. I'm a Product Manager at Pageflakes. I'm really excited to hear that you've been exploring the product a little bit! Your suggestions are eerily on target for what we're working on, but some of the ideas you suggest can be accomplished already.

Try this page I made for you in just a few minutes:

http://www.pageflakes.com/Community/Pages/Page.aspx?moduleKey=341757

When you go to the page, use the copy link in the upper right to get the page into your account so you can further personalize it (it will no longer be a Pagecast once you copy it, just your personal page).

I wanted to give you another teacher's Pagecast link so you can see how this technology can relate to education. My sister is a grade school teacher in Montana, and she's set up a school page, too.

This one is Ken Pruitt's in DuBois:
http://www.pageflakes.com/Community/Pages/Page.aspx?moduleKey=339290

Thanks for checking out http://www.pageflakes.com

-Best, Ben

Suzi said...

Thanks for the help! I love it. The page you sent me is much more colorful than the one I developed and had many of the same flakes. The best part about it though, is that this blog is part of a class for teachers on Web 2.0 tools and your response demonstrated the connectivity that is available to us and our students.

I appreciate your attention!
Suzi

Anonymous said...

I have been using Pageflakes for our school for a while now. I stumbled across this link before:

http://student.pageflakes.com

I have been hooked ever since.

Regards
Mark